Your basement is one of the most vulnerable parts of your home and needs to be adequately protected. Basement waterproofing in Mississauga is the norm now, yet there are still regular cases of people who have suffered as a result of putting it off – perhaps to save money or to work on a different part of their home. The risks, however, are very real. Structural damage to your basement and flooding can cause serious damage to your whole home, as well as causing a major hazard to your property and your family’s health.
Reasons Why Basement Waterproofing in Mississauga is So Important
Basement waterproofing in Mississauga is especially vital given the climate here. However, regardless of where you live, it’s extremely inadvisable to neglect the waterproofing of such a vulnerable part of your home. What appears to be a minor problem can quickly grow out of control and become a catastrophe for your home. Here are just some examples of things that can go wrong without adequate waterproofing:
- Damage to Your Belongings – This is perhaps the most obvious risk when there is a buildup of water in your basement. Water can damage and destroy most stored items, from books and clothes, to electronic equipment, food and even barrels of wine. Any furniture you have is also at a high risk of being damaged beyond repair – especially if it is made of wood.
- Structural Damage Extending to Your Home – Water leakages that are not dealt with properly can quickly lead to internal damage that becomes very expensive to repair. Any cracks that appear in the walls or the foundation are an indication that there is water already entering where it shouldn’t. Even if this water doesn’t enter your basement, it will likely weaken the walls and damage the structure to the point where serious flooding can occur.
- Overflow Over Water During Storms – The soil around the foundations and walls of your basement can only absorb a certain amount of water. During and after a particularly heavy storm, the buildup of water may eventually lead to an overflow, pushing water into your basement. Without waterproofing, the contents of your basement are likely to be completely destroyed.
- Buildup of Microorganisms – Excess moisture in your basement is a sure sign that something is going wrong behind the scenes. Ignoring it will probably lead to the appearance of more severe problems, but even at the outset, the buildup of mould can be a severe health hazard. Inhalation or ingestion of certain types of mould can provoke serious illnesses such as pneumonia and can lead to death.
- Unsuitable Drainage from the Surrounding Land – If the land around your property forces water to trickle down towards your home, your basement is at extremely high risk of being damaged. In some cases this is unavoidable, however, and waterproofing is absolutely essential in order to avoid serious problems.
As mentioned earlier, basement waterproofing in Mississauga is absolutely vital in order to avoid the problems listed above, along with others. Don’t be left regretting your inaction – start waterproofing now!