As specialists in basement flooding prevention in Mississauga and the surrounding area, we think it’s fair to say that we have a comprehensive understanding of what type of waterproofing tactics work best on local properties and how they should be implemented. If you are experiencing flooding issues with your below grade space or you would like to make sure that it is not something you have to worry about in the future, we recommend taking the measures listed in the section below.
Basement Flooding Prevention in Mississauga: 5 Simple Steps to Protect Your Property
We can perform all the necessary work to implement the suggestions below so please do not hesitate to call and speak to us if you require any assistance.
- Install French Drains – Also known as weeping tiles, French drains have been used to direct water away from properties for over 200 years and can be highly effective when properly designed and installed. Normally consisting of a trench, with a perforated pipe running along the bottom and loose stones or gravel on top, they are designed to channel water about 6 metres away from the properties around which they are installed, where it then dissipates naturally into the ground.
- Repair Exterior Surface of Foundation Walls – This is a necessary step to take if you are planning to follow the tips below, as it ensures that any waterproofing membrane you apply will adhere uniformly to the surface of your foundation walls. It will also stop water from accumulating in any holes or cracks that may currently be present in the exterior surface. This is, if you will excuse the pun, a foundational step to take when implementing effective basement flooding prevention for Mississauga properties.
- Apply Liquid Waterproofing Membrane – There are several different types of liquid membrane that can be used to protect your basement from flooding: we will be more than happy to survey your property and advise you which one to choose if you desire. The main objective is to form a smooth, impermeable barrier that stops water from penetrating your foundation walls.
- Install Sheet Membrane System – For maximum protection, it is recommended to install a heavy duty sheet membrane waterproofing system after the liquid membrane has been applied. This work should be performed by an experienced contractor such as ourselves, to make sure the sheet membrane is installed correctly.
- Fill Cracks in Interior Surface of Foundation Walls – The waterproof membranes applied to the exterior of your walls will prevent floodwater from entering your basement but to make absolutely sure the interior surface of the walls stays dry in all weathers it is advisable to have any cracks filled with a special expanding foam. Otherwise, condensation during humid weather may result in water collecting in the cracks, causing your basement walls to become wet over time.
If you need any further advice about basement flooding prevention in Mississauga or a quotation to carry out all of the above steps, please do not hesitate to call and speak to us during normal business hours.