Basement flooding is no joke and with the increasing severity of storms in recent years it’s become a major issue in Etobicoke and the rest of the GTA. In order to help homeowners deal with the scourge of basement flooding a flood prevention city rebate for Etobicoke homeowners has been initiated wherein the city offers to subsidize your basement flooding mitigation efforts. If you have a problem with basement flooding, especially during and after extreme weather events, it’s in your interest to take advantage of this important program. The very value of your home (as well as your ability to obtain proper flood insurance) depends on it.
What is the Flood Prevention City Rebate for Etobicoke Residents?
The Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program came about in the wake of the July 2013 floods that inundated nearly 5,000 area basements as well as subway stations, backyards, underpasses and more. Insurance companies took a huge hit covering damages from that storm. After the water had finally receded they amended most homeowner policies to stipulate that they would no longer cover basement flooding, unless the homeowner made good faith efforts to prevent it. Enter the Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy. Rebates from the program are available to cover the following types of flood mitigation work:
- Sump Pump Installation – A sump pump can be an invaluable tool in the battle to keep your basement free of standing water. They’re installed in a recess (or sump) in the basement floor and spring into action when water levels rise. The city will cover up to 80% of the invoiced cost of installing a sump pump with a maximum payment of $1,750 per property.
- Backwater Valve Installation – The backwater valve is installed on all points in the plumbing system through which water may possibly enter the home should the municipal sewer system become backed up or otherwise overwhelmed. A backwater valve is typically installed on the shower drain, the toilet, any and all sinks as well as on the line leading directly from the house to the municipal sewer line. The program will cover 80% of the invoiced cost of this work up to a maximum of $1,250 per property.
- Pipe Severance and Capping – The foundation drain is a common feature in area homes but it’s also a potential source of basement flooding. As such the city will pay up to $400 to cover the cost of having your foundation drain severed from the main sewer system and capped.
Who Is Eligible?
- Homes that have already been completed.
- Registered single family residences, duplexes or triplexes.
- Homes that have paved front yards that conform to Toronto regulations.
- Homes with no eavestroughs connected to the city sewer system.
Contact Pom Plumbing
To learn more about the flood prevention city rebate in Etobicoke and to schedule any of the above outlined mitigation work contact Pom Plumbing today on 905 625 8777. We’ve helped many of your neighbours seal their basements against the ravages of Mother Nature and we can do the same for you.